Adventures in vinyl


Those who know me are aware of my affinity for fine audio components. I have been an audiophile since 1971 when I acquired my first pair of KLH speakers. From then there was no turning back and I have owned countless high-end audio products. Before CD's came along I had an extensive collection of LP's (that's records) and I try to use the best possible turntables with straight-line tracking. My particular favorite is the BeoGram 8000 by Bang and Olufsen which you see in the accompanying photo. As far as speakers are concerned I switch off between The Vandersteen Model 2 and a pair of restored AR3a's.

Today I hopscotched around in the mists of my musical memory banks starting with Fire On High by Electric Light Orchestra. Then I stumbled upon the Seals And Crofts album called Unborn Child which brought back memories of selling carpeting door to door in the 110 degree weather of Phoenix, Arizona in 1974. It was one way of making money for trade school and I have to admit, I wasn't very good at it. But I also remember a guest appearance by Seals And Crofts on the Mike Douglass Show where their pro-life position was jeered at by angry feminists in the audience. Hmmm.

Then I fast forwarded to 1977 and dragged out Point Of Know Return by Kansas. The title song is awesome as well as the venerable Dust In The Wind. The album has this 18th century nautical feel to the imagery which I guess you wouldn't get without the sumptuous cover art that only LP's could provide. I always chuckled at the similarity in styles of the bass player for Kansas and his predecesor, Chris Squire of YES. I then zipped over to 1982 with It Must Be Love by Madness. This song has everything. A wonderful melody sung by Ian Suggsby, great harmonies, a kickass bass line, fantastic horns and a beautiful string arrangement done molto pizzicato.

Then something really different and obscure for many of my younger friends. I made the system cook with the trumpet stylings of Bill Chase with his band Chase playing Get It On. Trust me, you'd know it if you heard it but alas, they were just a one-hit-wonder. They were Jonny-come-latelys to the trend in rock bands in the early 1970's to add horn sections to the ensemble. But Chicago had the market cornered on that stunt so Chase never really got traction with the public.

But enough with song hopping, I then finished off by listening to an often overlooked Jethro Tull album called A. I'd forgotten I had this album and even though it isn't one their most well known outtings it still stands head and shoulders above most of what is being put out these days by contemporary bands. And this is the only Jethro Tull album that departs from their imagery of the minstrel or the highwayman of English folklore. All in all, a wonderful morning's listening. What's everybody else listening to?

Comments

EcamirG said…
carry on, my wayward son.

er... grandpa.
The Fool said…
I have that here somewhere. And I heard that! Actually I saw it.
Anonymous said…
I'm listening to my new fave band at the moment, Kaiser Chiefs
The Fool said…
Never heard of 'em! I guess I like the old stuff. Damn young whippersnappers. *grabs cain*
Action Randall said…
I'm listening to the new 'Aimee Mann' - The Forgotton Arm, and the new 'Turin Brakes' - Jackinabox...
anne said…
I listen to Lio a lot. ;)
No, I've just discovered the John Butler trio, so I'm going to give that a few listens to make up my mind.
Other than that, varied things, from Dean Martin to Nappy Roots...
The Fool said…
You've introduced a new phrase to the blogosphere..."blog demise" and it's a sad one indeed. But come on over and say hello will ya?
The Fool said…
Anne, thanks very much for Lio. :) I'll have a new list of obscure golden oldies here soon so fear not.
Anonymous said…
ooooooooooh............nice answering machine!!!!


*santorum is down by 11 pts*
The Fool said…
Oh yes, I play all my LP's on an answering machine! It's the new rage. And I'm soooooooo happy that Santorum is going to lose, big time. Send the Neanderthals packing I say!!

Popular Posts