California Dreamin'


I finally saw the film Sideways last week. I enjoyed it very much but I didn't want to get into the relative merits of it. I thought it was a fine film, it made me laugh and the lead actors did a marvelous job.
No, I want to talk about something else. I want to talk about California. The state I left exactly one year ago to move to Ohio. Actually I didn't just leave, I fled. I fled the high real estate prices, the congestion, the traffic and the bureaucracy. Moving to Ohio gave me the opportunity to buy an old historic home that in California would have cost me nearly ten times the price I paid. So I have no regrets about the move I made but I do still think about California. Wait, I think about Northern California very much as I'd lived there for most of my adult life. You can have SoCal, I have no use for it.
Sideways follows two guys on a wine tasting tour through some of the Central Coast towns where many excellent wineries can be found. One of the guys, Miles, is a schoolteacher and failed novelist. The other, Jack, is his friend from college who is getting married in a matter of days. The trip is a sort of batchelor party for Jack and Miles is making sure his buddy has a great time in his last few days of freedom.
They drive north on Pacific Coast Highway, then on 101 until they make a quick stop in Oxnard, (Oxnard!) of all places. You see, that's where I was living before I moved east. No, living is too good a word, I was dying there. I was out of work and watching my nest egg get depleted with every passing month's rent. I had lived in Oxnard twice before this current go 'round so I knew it well and I can say with all sincerity that I hated it far more this time. Anyway, they drive through Oxnard and they take the Vineyard Avenue exit which is the same street where I'd rented a storage unit for my belongings. I swear, the sight of the place made me feel like I'd never left and I don't mean that in a good way. Gave me the willies it did.
Well first off, Miles is driving a red Saab Turbo Cabriolet with a black convertible top! That was the car I drove before my current one. Same color, same everything! They're driving my car dammit! But I digress. After they leave Oxnard it gets much better. They drive north of Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara until they pass Goleta and Solvang. We're almost far enough north to be in my old beloved stomping ground, the Central Coast. I've driven that highway so many times I think I could do it blindfolded. (Don't try that at home) The sights and sounds of 101 became second nature to me after all those many years, and I guess I even took them for granted. Seeing the same roads in the movie made me long for California again even though I had good reason to bail out of it when I did. The drawbacks to living in California were forgotten for two hours as I watched the adventures of these these friends drive north into my memories. Every freeway exit and every roadside diner I recognized. Each is a piece of my past now being used as a backdrop for a story about two friends.

What is ironic is that one of my best friends here in Ohio is moving to California next month. His path requires him to go there and I can see that it's the best thing for him rather than stay here and stagnate. You have to know when to move on. It's one of the most valuable things one can learn in life's lessons. My friend is much younger than I and needs the opportunities that California can offer in the entertainment business. I'm middle-aged and more settled so my being in Ohio makes sense. I got out of California at the right time, my friend is going there at just the right time. Funny how that works.

Comments

Funny....I just read an article in the NY times that since Sideways came out, sales of Pinot Noir have skyrocketed and sales of Merlot have fallen. Funny how pop culture can effect things even on a "snooty" level. I liked the film a lot but didn't get the hype, you know the "oh Jennifer, you HAVE to see this film."
The Fool said…
Yeah, it was a very good film but the most endearing quality for me was the locale which made me think a little. And to think that Merlot was riding so high a couple of years ago. My my.
SINPREE said…
Argh, yeah, the prices of Norcal homes can be a bit on the evil side.

I kind of accidently found your blog, but you know what? I like what I read. Keep up the good work.
SMASHED said…
It's amazing how a movie, book, or a song can take you back to a certain time and place in your life. Unfortunately, sometimes it brings back unpleasant memories as well.
The Fool said…
Sinpree, yeah. The place I got in Ohio would have to sell for 600K in any medium sized California city. I could never afford this being the single minstrel I am. What I have here is palatial by California standards. I wish I could afford to live there but I just can't.

Snooker, most of the time it's music that takes me back to a specific place and time. But seeing that Sideways was being filmed at about the time I was there in late 2003 and early 2004 I was almost expecting to see myself walk into the frame. Weird.
stella said…
strange to see traces of a past life flash before you in a moving image while parallel worlds intersect.

if i ever leave new york someday, i think i'd feel the same way. thanks for such a heartfelt and profound post!
The Fool said…
Stella, I imagine you'd get all sorts of opportunities to feel that way since New York is used so much as a backdrop. That's why I love Woody Allen films so much. They're as much about New York as they are about the characters and one can tell after seeing his films that he loves New York. Lucky girl.
shyloh's poetry said…
Oh what a beautiful story. Songs do it for me also. Sometime when I venture
back to a place I once was then come home. Something will trigger that place
and feeling for me.

I love Oregon. I want to go back there. Every time go to get a drink from the tap
in my home I can't drink it. I remember drinking the river water that was so pure and fresh. Now it's bottled or nothing haha. That is where I so long to me. But
my cabin has been sold and they will not let us build there anymore. I cry
thinking about giving that up. Nothing but zillions of trees and a river
in my back yard. OOOO Don't take me there.

Life is a journey and we trip on most of it.

I Love this story. Thank you for sharing it.
Memories, the good, the bad and the ugly. (smile)

aloha to all of you here!!!
The Fool said…
Thanks Shyloh. Cowabunga to you too! ;)
Jane said…
I'll take SoCal !!! I do love Northern California, Bolinas? Thought that was the quite a lovely little hippy town... As for Sideways I found it dull and trying just a little bit too hard... Seen I Heart Huckabees?
The Fool said…
I missed Huckabees but I'll reserve it right away. My local public library has everything. I guess SoCal doesn't match my temperment Jane. I need space and the traffic in SoCal just gets on my nerves. You're in L.A., right? I love that area just north of Gaviota right after the big grade.
EcamirG said…
well, your "friend" sounds like an absolute jackass.

i hope he goes out there and hates it and comes crying back to ohio. it would serve him right.

actually, "i heart huckabee's" and "sideways" are at about the same level for me... i'll take them on a rainy day over most of the fare that's thrown my way, but neither is quite where it thinks it should be.
The Fool said…
He's OK. Give him a stuffed penguin and he's happy. We in the entertainment biz are constantly bitching about the lack of small intelligent films. Then they make a few and we complain that they're not up to our lofty standards. Jeeeeeeeeeesus. I still want to see Huckabees.
EcamirG said…
i have never complained over the lack of small intelligent films. on the contrary, i wish there were more action-packed remakes of old 70s television shows!
Action Randall said…
Tell your friend to stay away from this guy I know named Grimace. He's gonna be going out there around the same time. Bad news, man. Baaaad news.

I didn't live out there very long at all. There are things I miss about it. But the main thing I don't miss is how obscenely unproductive I was out there. I hope to move back though some day. As long as it's for a good reason.
The Fool said…
ecamirG, My friend can't come crying back to Ohio. You see, he doesn't cry. Ever. I need to talk to him about that.
S A J Shirazi said…
It will help if you explain your comments you left me at Light Within a little more. Thanks for being there.
pruvaloo said…
"You have to know when to move on. It's one of the most valuable things one can learn in life's lessons."

Very wise words indeed.
The Fool said…
Thanks Pruvaloo. I wonder sometimes because it took me so damn long to learn it though. Better late than never I guess. Thanks for your kind comment.
EcamirG said…
you've been running for a few weeks and you get more comments than i do.

it makes me sad like a sad-faced smiley.
The Fool said…
" you've been running for a few weeks and you get more comments than i do"

http://diminishedfifth.blogspot.com/

Hey buddy,turn that frown upside down!
Anonymous said…
Love SoCal and nobody could believe it at first because I'm so New York--but Santa Monica and Venice Beach are just like home-expensive, same types of people--with way better weather and the ocean

Next year...
Action Randall said…
Hey Grim, technically it's Jackson getting most the comments.
On second thought, that probably doesn't make ya feel much better.
The Fool said…
Harley, I've learned to live with the reality that Jackson is more popular than I am. I've adjusted to this really well considering my huge ego.
The Fool said…
Renata, I can honestly say that I love NorCal but I can see what you're saying. It's just too damn expensive and being so it just sucks the life right out of you. I mean, I just want to live a simple life and the economic realities in California makes it so damn difficult.

Popular Posts