A Walk in the Countryside

Episode 2, A Bleaker Outlook

A month later and the rains of winter are still upon us. With my dog Jackson at my side we traipsed off into the inclement weather once again. There was a break in this round of storms so we were going to make the best of it. Down by the riverbed we went, nothing but the dark sky and the sound of the wind whistling in our ears. Gone was the quiet expectation of an incoming squall. This was different, a break between showers that would only last for just so long. There was a yearning to get this over with, a slightly uncomfortable feeling that cold wind tends to give a person. Gone was the blissfulness of our earlier venture. Replacing it was the need to get out, to do something beyond the tedium and humdrum of the daily grind. There would be other blissful moments, they would come when they felt like it. It just came home to me that those moments can't be forced. They just happen, and then they're gone. Attempts to duplicate them usually fail, one cannot reach a state of bliss using a sledgehammer, subtlety and patience are required. Two things I have been woefully in short supply of lately.

JACKSON: You’re learning.
MOTLEYFOOL: You know, I’m starting to rue the day that I found out you could talk.
JACKSON: I know sarcasm when I hear it, you don’t scare me.
MOTLEYFOOL: This is a funny life boy, there are times when you can’t miss. Things seem to fall into place effortlessly and without strain. At other times you can’t get buy a break. Weird huh?
JACKSON: It’s a paradox Motley, in order to achieve you must give up trying to be impressive. When you give of yourself you become greater. When you give up wanting, great things come to you. See?
MOTLEYFOOL: Wow Jackson, you sound very Taoist.
JACKSON: I don’t know what it’s called but that’s how things work.
MOTLEYFOOL: I guess labeling it would be a moot point.
JACKSON: Sometimes labels are so unnecessary and superfluous. Best to concentrate on the deeper meaning of things. Now, about those dog biscuits...

Comments

Action Randall said…
Where do I get a therapist dog? That would be great. Throw in a parrot who could do my taxes and things would really start moving for me.

Sidenote: Yes, the Book Loft rules. I sometimes write at the Cup o Joe next to it. Great area.

Another sidenote: I was fired, then dumped. In that order :)
The Fool said…
If you're looking for a dog take me with you next time you go to the shelter. People have told me that I'm great at picking dogs out, that I'm very tuned in to what makes a great companion. Jackson's English is pretty good for your average Canine-American but he still needs me to turn pages for him when he reads The New York Times. We have to work on that whole lack of fingers thing.

Next time you're over here give me a call and we'll go to Cup O' Joe, I love that place. They have this frozen coffee thingie I really like. Oh, so since your were dumped first will you be holding Disney responsible for the breakup of your impending marriage? That could have been the catalyst you know.
Anonymous said…
You know, Ive never had a dog. I want one to give me advice!

To answer your question on what I wore: I wore a tight black dress and the Lancome perfume. MEOW!!
The Fool said…
I'd love to give an assist my dear. I tend to gravitate to the retrievers and their offshoots. Goldens, Newfoundlands, Labs, St. Bernards, Burnese Mountain Dog, Great Pyrenees and various mixes of all of the above. But just sitting with the dog for a bit will usually answer all of your questions, hanging out as it were.

Stay tuned for more of Jackson's wit and wisdom but I warn you, Episode 5 is a three hanky affair. And you just rocked my world. Was this tight black (gulp) number kinda short? Maybe? ARRRGGHHH!!!!
Anonymous said…
I have my imaginary Maltese--she's therapy for me

Thanks for your very kind comment. Will be back often
The Fool said…
pia...thanks very much. I really enjoyed your writing and I too will be back. The essay about your mother kind of got to me.
Mindfull said…
My dog doesn't talk but he sighs a lot. Maybe he could connect with your dog sometime for a bit of therapy.

Does your dog know of any Pavlovian training techniques to teach my dog a few new tricks? (e.g. when a bell rings my dog gets me dinner?)
The Fool said…
Actually, it was just talking to Jackson that did it. Reading aloud to him was elemental as well. More episodes to follow...

Popular Posts