A legacy of sorts

I've noticed my own tendency to use old expressions that have been handed down to me from my parents. I'm not sure when I started to notice this, it happens when I'm in a more reflective mood. They are as much a part of me as my accent or my personal history. One old saw I use frequently is "Used rough and put away dirty" which can be utilized for a myriad of uses. I believe the expression has it's beginnings in Depression era America. The country was more rurally oriented then with far more family farms than nowadays. When someone would lend their neighbor a shovel or a pick and sometimes it would come back in less than stellar condition. "Used rough and put away dirty" was something that came about to refer to a person who didn't take care of their things.
I remember Pop using the expression for many things, usually for an inanimate object that someone had neglected. Of course, he would have taken much better care and kept the thing in question in pristine condition until doomsday. There were times when he would refer to a person in the same way. I made him laugh once when I refered to less than attractive woman as "Used rough and put away dirty" and indeed I could refer to many people in my neighborhood in much the same way.
Another expression I've found myself uttering is "Fair to middlin" in response to the rather automatic penchant of people to ask "How are you?" "Fair to middlin" I would respond which in hindsight seems to say nothing at all. Another way to say "Not bad" or "Can't complain".
But I'm not interested in the rather generic responses, I'm much more intrigued with expressions that predate my existence and find their roots in the world of my parents and their parents before them. I've taken to the expressions naturally, like being brought up in a certain church or faith. It's not something I wear for a day, it's part of my makeup and isn't something I could get rid of even if I wanted to.
So I figured that I would keep these expressions alive as a tribute of sorts to those that came before me. Theirs was such a different world where someone's character could be summed up by how they took care of their things. On my desk in my office is an old Swingline stapler that my parents used in our household for years. It's standard military gray in color and looks brand new even though it's been around the house in regular use for fifty years. It's been "Used gingerly and put away clean". Nope, sorry. It just doesn't have the same ring. Looks like I won't be coining any lasting expressions anytime soon. Methinks it's better that way.

Comments

Action Randall said…
Now you're on the trolley!

(Hey, there may be a potluck thingy going on in your neck of the woods this weekend. You free Sunday?)
The Fool said…
I may be. There's this little political mixer supposed to happen on Sunday but it's not be firmed up yet. The way people do these things is always at the last minute. Where is the potluck ? You have my numbers, right?
Action Randall said…
Political mixer, huh? Sounds... uh...
Anyway, yeah I have your numbers. I'll give you call when I get the particulars. It'll be about a block or two from you. :)
The Fool said…
Sounds good. Come to the house first and we'll head over. Jackson has to stay home :( but he'd be awfully happy to see you. :) (deliberate overuse of smileys)
The Fool said…
"One of my favourite expressions which always has Americans scratching their heads: "As different as chalk and cheese.""

Where did you dig up this one? Any idea about it's origins? I'm kinda scratchin' my head about it myself. Oh! And now that you mention it, the "used rough..." thingie DOES sound rather hot. Dang, got me going there. Come back!
Swami-o said…
Yeah, I notice that recently a lot of young servicemen in Iraq have been buying the farm.
SMASHED said…
Your post took me back to remembering one of my parent's favorite sayings: Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
shyloh's poetry said…
Hello everyone,
Here is a site you might enjoy.

Wise old sayings
The Fool said…
Swami-o, "Buying the farm" is now my next research item. I'll let you know what I find.

Kurves, when were you in England and for how long? I'd love to know more if you wanted to e-mail me about that.

Shyloh, thanks so much for the link. I'm going to bookmark that one.

Snookie, Does that one go back as far as Shakespeare's time? I gotta look into that one too.
shyloh's poetry said…
(Do not) Rob Peter to pay Paul. - John Heywood (c.1497-1580) earlier (1380) in a collection by John Wycliffe. Thanks to Mark Ingram we understand what the saying means: It describes a wasteful or pointless activity, namely taking away something in order to put it back.

Got this from that site I linked.
EcamirG said…
i'm a fan of the legendary old saying, "with great power comes great responsibility." this is, of course, from the cinematic masterpiece teen wolf

or spiderman.

or perhaps kung fu hustle.

Popular Posts