The Wonders Of German Village

May 12th, 2005

I had a wonderful experience today. It involved a bookstore. Yes, a bookstore. My travels today took me into German Village, a gentrified section of Old Columbus rich in history, quaint shops and cobblestone streets. I had been applying for work at a fairly chic Euro-style bistro there when a sign for a little bookstore caught my eye. I'm a sucker for bookstores so I parked the car across the street and meandered inside.

It was called The Book Loft http://www.bookloft.com/bltour.htm and I found myself taken with the store the moment I walked in. The building isn't small like I originally thought, it contains 32 rooms that meander through this maze of a building. In each room there's music, sometimes jazz or classical, American classic songs or New Age. This place is huge! I explored the store for about 40 minutes, taking my time in each section I began to notice that music somehow fit the genre. In the sci-fi section I noticed The Planets by Holst, in the biographies a classic American standard by Bing Crosby and in the history section some 1930's jazz. This labyrinth seemed to go on forever but I didn't mind as I had plenty of time. It almost felt otherworldly what with the cobblestones and the Dickensian overtones but absolutely charming. I will definitely go back there and give them my business. After all, I hope to be working right down the street. If you're ever in town please go see this bookshop. I'll go with you. Promise.

May 22nd, 2005

Mosied on over to German Village yesterday for what is known as The Garage Sale. Everybody in the village has their own garage sale so you merely stroll down the street for perusing from door to door. It was tons of fun as I'm such a bargain hunter and of course you can find all sorts of great stuff at firesale prices.

My own purchases were meager but kind of cool, to whit: two baseball caps for 50 cents and a Braun electric shaver for 1 dollar. Nearly sent me to the poorhouse it did. But I made an inquiry at one house about the availability of an old desk. I need one for my upstairs office and I wanted it to be old and well made. The gentleman I asked took me and Dave inside and showed us three desks, one of them had to go and all three were big, heavy, old and distinguished looking. I could take my pick for 150 bucks. I wanted to think about it but I think I'm going to go back there and get it. Yippee.

June 9th, 2005

I took time out from rebuilding my porch yesterday evening to pick up something I'd wanted for eons...an antique desk for my office. Me and Dave were able to haul this beauty from German Village where I'd seen it at a garage sale two weeks earlier. And it's really gorgeous. It's about 80 years old and belonged to a prominent attorney here in Columbus. It almost looks Presidential, doesn't it? I purchased the flag last Friday after I'd taken Jackson to Schiller Park for a run. There was a sign advertising a yard sale nearby so I ducked over to look. The flag in question is also quite old, circa 1940's or so and has 48 stars. I love historical artifacts so I forked over my ten bucks and proudly displayed it. This is my upstairs office.

July 13th, 2005

It rained today here in Columbus. The really good steady rain that I like to listen to as it taps on the roof. I was working on the latticework of the railings for the front porch before the drizzle turned into a steady rain.

Two nights ago I took Jackson over to German Village for a run at Schiller Park and was fortunate enough to see a rehearsal of Romeo And Juliet by The Actors Theatre Of Columbus. I had waited until after 8:00PM in order to avoid the heat. It was fun to sit on the grass and watch the actors especially in a play I'd already performed in many years ago. I like to think that Jackson was having as much fun as I was. I think he could have done without the Shakespeare and had more time for exploring but them's the breaks kid.

We then strolled over to the tennis courts to watch the players and I wondered when I would find a practice partner so I could get back in shape. I seem to be putting this off, maybe it's just not one of my priorities anymore. But when I pick up a tennis racket it all comes back, it always does.

August 7th, 2005

Once again my dear Jackson and I found ourselves in German Village for a run at Schiller Park. It was a Saturday night and the final weekend of Romeo and Juliet that the Actor's Theatre was presenting in the park. A crowd of about 500 or so was watching and we could not have had better weather. The heat we'd experienced earlier in the week had dissipated and we were blessed with a beautiful evening for Shakespeare In The Park. I chatted with some of the company members who were running the show and one of them doted on Jackson. It always help to bring the dog with you as they're automatic conversation starters. I like this place.

to be continued...

Comments

anne said…
The interconnection of all things. Cause and more consequences. Something like that.

What about that bistro?
The Fool said…
They want to talk to me next week or thereabouts. Looks like I'll be working soon. My fingers are crossed.
EcamirG said…
my dog is a terrible conversation starter. she's half blind, so when people pet her, she tends to get scared and bite them.

still, you know. whatever works.

Popular Posts