A Walk in the Countryside

May 2002

Episode 4, A Mysterious Visitor

I was doing some yard work the other day, you know, pruning the rosebushes then sweeping out the driveway. Jackson had positioned himself on the cement in front of the car in his usual Sphinx-like pose. I worked in my usual leisurely manner, occasionally looking over at him to check on his whereabouts. His whole existence these days seemed to focus on not being alone. If you went outside to do some work he was there with you, if you went inside to sit in the living room he was right next to you in whatever chair you were in. Of course when I would retire to my inner sanctum to work on the computer he had to stay behind in the living room as he was forbidden to go into that part of the house. So he would lay himself down in a strategic spot where he could keep an eye on me if I should open the door to my rooms. If the door was open he would stare in my direction, ever hopeful that I would emerge to take him on a walk somewhere.
But today I was in his realm, outdoors in the fresh air where he loved to be so much. I made my way over to the toolshed to grab some shears when I noticed that Jackson's attention was riveted on something. Across the road there was a pickup truck that had a dog in the bed, tethered there by a leash which is required these days under California law. It appeared to be a Boxer, all lean muscle mass and short hair. The other dog's attention was focused on Jackson as well, it's neck pulling tight on the leash that kept it in the truck. And there they both stayed, posed like statues staring at each other, both fascinated with this rare visit by someone of their same species. I wondered sometimes if they ever got lonely for company from their own kind. I mean, I would if I belonged to some strange entity, I'd want contact with my own kind as would we all. Jackson's attention was still honed in on this new potential friend when suddenly the owner of the pickup truck appeared, got into the truck and sped away with his Boxer still looking longingly in Jackson's direction. Two ships in the night that would never meet. I approached Jackson and said:
MOTLEYFOOL: You didn't move a muscle when that dog was looking at you. Were you afraid?
JACKSON: Afraid? You kidding? I was in love.
MOTLEYFOOL: What? That was a female? I didn't know...
JACKSON: Are you kidding? Didn't you see the legs on her? Man!
MOTLEYFOOL: I had no idea.
JACKSON: Well, just because I've been snipped doesn't mean I can't look you know.
MOTLEYFOOL: I suppose not. We all need some kind of company I guess.
JACKSON: Yeah, but humans seem to be in control of things so we do what we're told. It's a strange life.
MOTLEY: Hey, I was wondering where you learned the English language so well. You watch TV and seem to know what's going on in the world.
JACKSON: Yes, I read too. I like The Christian Science Monitor for world coverage, USA Today for the national stuff. Call me shallow but I like the sound bite quality of the latter.
MOTLEYFOOLFOOL: I can't believe this, you know how to read. How did this come about?
JACKSON: I went to special school for gifted dogs. You saw Harry Potter right?
MOTLEYFOOL: Sure.
JACKSON: Just like that. It was a Hogwart's for dogs....Dogwart's.
MOTLEYFOOL: I'm impressed. But what happened? How did you end up here with me?
JACKSON: I flunked out. I was OK at most of the stuff but failed miserably at the book learning stuff like mortality, owner control, power snoozing, etc etc.
MOTLEYFOOL: So they cut you loose and you ended up at the SPCA in Santa Cruz where I found you right?
JACKSON: Yup. And I'm so glad you took me in, I think they were going to put me to sleep real soon. I don't know what that means but it sounded bad.
MOTLEYFOOL: It means that they were going to kill you to make space for another dog that might have a better chance of finding a home.
JACKSON: See? I don't get that. What is kill? What does it mean?
MOTLEYFOOL: It means to cease living, to die. Didn't they teach you that at Dogwart's?
JACKSON: I'm good at many things Motley, but this is my weak area.
MOTLEYFOOL: Tell you what....I'll teach you all about that one day soon. It's a painful lesson though, you'd better be sure you want to know about this.
JACKSON: I'll try my best Motley, tell me everything you know and don't spare my feelings. I'm a big dog you know.
MOTLEYFOOL: Ok buddy. Ready to go inside for a chewy treat?
JACKSON: You bet! Oh... Motley?
MOTLEYFOOL: Yes Jackson?
JACKSON: If you see that Boxer anywhere downtown would you slip her my e-mail address?
MOTLEYFOOL: Sure thing buddy, I'll be very discreet.

Comments

shyloh's poetry said…
OOOO I am just so fascinated with your stories. I love your dog.
He is the best. I can say that now cause I lost my little mini
schnauzer a few months ago. Now he was a good dog. His name by
the way was Shylo. Yes, He is named after me haha.

Thank you for sharing your stories. They are great!!!
pruvaloo said…
The dialogues you have with Jackson are absolutely fantastic! Keep them coming, I love reading them :D
The Fool said…
Shyloh, tell you what, since you don't have your own puppy anymore you can be Jackson's surrogate owner. He'd like the company. :)

Pruvaloo, Thanks for the compliment and stay tuned. I have about 25 more to go.
Pirate said…
great work. I'll spend time tonight reading more.
shyloh's poetry said…
Oh that is so nice of you the fool. I like that idea.
SMASHED said…
I've always been partial to dogs, and really enjoyed this story. The way our little Chihuahua (Pharoah) looks at me sometimes, it's like he's got something to say too! Keep 'em coming.
cheers
anne said…
Fool... you should teach Jackson about inner beauty, too. It's all legs and no brains for him, right now.
Action Randall said…
He seems very cordial for someone who's been snipped. I think I might be a tad, I don't know, snippy.
I know that was bad, but you used Dogwartz so I don't want to hear it.
The Fool said…
Thanks Pirate, I'll return the favor.

Shyloh, he's partial to nice women so you have an instant fan!

Snooker, interesting. Jackson gets along with Chihuahuas real well. He knew a few out in California. he liked them because they weren't ever aggresive towards him unlike certain pit bulls. Grrrr.

Anne, oh he's very cerebral and looks for that in his bitches. If only he'd had a chance to talk to her it would have been all about "What do you read?" or "How about that Tucker Carlson?" or some interesting pursuit. Of course, there's the initial physical attraction which is de riguer. Or is it vigor? Hmmm...

Harley, he's always like that no matter what I say to him. Always cool, always genteel. Snippy. Very funny. Oh! Deanna was very cute. Who was the redhead in the camouflage pants? Jackson told me to ask. Heh.
Action Randall said…
You mean Dina? Yeah she's a ball of energy, that one. And the camo pants, that was Ellen. She heads up the Ohio Art League. Tell Jackson she's engaged. You know, in case he was wondering... haha
The Fool said…
Will do! That Jackson is such a dog.
Anonymous said…
good info

Popular Posts