A Walk in the Countryside

Episode 7 A Pet's Peeves




The big black shape lumbers over to where I sit on the side of the house and heaves his big frame down on the ground next to me. His nose is an inch away from my foot, he clears his throat...

JACKSON: I've been watching TV lately Motley and something caught my eye that I wanted to talk to you about.
MOTLEYFOOL: What did you see?
JACKSON: Oh, there was all this talk of a Patient's Bill of Rights to make HMOs behave themselves. What's an HMO anyway?
MOTLEYFOOL: Believe me Jackson, you don't want to know.
JACKSON: Oh, well anyway, they wanted to give people under a doctor's care more control of what happens to them.
MOTLEYFOOL: Yeah, so what's this got to do with you Jackson?
JACKSON: Well... it does seem that humans have all the rights, all the priviledges, all the advantages. How come there isn't something like that for dogs?
MOTLEYFOOL: Why limit yourself to dogs Jackson? Why not expand this idea to include most, if not all, sentient creatures?
JACKSON: Excellent idea Motley!! It could an Animals Bill of Rights or something like that. Hey! I saw on the news this week that Britain has passed such a law, punishing those humans that don't take care of their pets.
MOTLEYFOOL: Man, you watch a lot of TV but it sounds like a great idea, long overdue in my opinion.
JACKSON: Hey, I like to be informed. Yeah, so anybody who mistreats or abuses an animal is faced with hard time and not just a slap on the wrist.
MOTLEYFOOL: Dogs don't have wrists.
JACKSON: But humans do! Hahahaha! You make me laugh Motley!
MOTLEYFOOL: Can I ask you something Jackson? The mistreatment of animals seems to be important to you. Were you ever mistreated?
JACKSON: How do you mean? I wasn't beaten if that's what you mean.
MOTLEYFOOL: But I'll bet you were kicked though, am I right?
JACKSON: How did you know that? I'm amazed that you knew that!
MOTLEYFOOL: I've noticed that when you're laying next to me and I try to stroke you with my foot that you immediately get away from me as far as possible.
JACKSON: Yeah, there was a neighbor kid who kicked me pretty good on a regular basis. I don't know why, he must have had a mean streak or something.
MOTLEYFOOL: I'm sure sorry about that Jackson, humans can be pretty stupid sometimes. I'll make you a deal though, I won't go near you with my foot. How's that?
JACKSON: Thanks Motley. (thumps big bushy tail)
MOTLEYFOOL: I'm prety sure we'll follow Britains lead with this new law Jackson. It's probably not far away now.
JACKSON: Good. While we're on the subject...
MOTLEYFOOL: Yes? You mean there's more?
JACKSON: Well, yeah. I've been meaning to speak to you about the neighbor's dog, Charley.
MOTLEYFOOL: The Jack Russel Terrier? What about him?
JACKSON: He's a complete and utter pain in the ass.
MOTLEYFOOL: Jackson! Watch your mouth!
JACKSON: I'm sorry Motley but he's absolutely insufferable. He's a sneaky little rascal, always sneaking up behind me. I never know what he's up to when he does that. He's evil if you ask me.
MOTLEYFOOL: Yeah, I've noticed that he does seem to make you a little nervous. Have you ever thought that maybe you intimidate him quite a bit? You ARE a very imposing looking beast.
JACKSON: For cryin' out loud, we've lived next door to each other for two years, you'd think he'd get used to the concept that I'm a big dog. Maybe if I growled at him...
MOTLEYFOOL: You'll do no such thing.
JACKSON: I could make him pee so bad if I did that. Look. I don't mind the whole butt sniffing thing, it's something we dogs do when we first meet but when it's over it's over. I don't like his sorry mug making an appearance at my hindquarters after that. It's a bit much if you know what I mean.
MOTLEYFOOL: Yeah, I see what you're getting at.
JACKSON: And he's so damn jumpy. I swear Motley he makes me so nervous.
MOTLEYFOOL: It's not that bad fella, he doesn't come over that much. Is there anything else that's on your mind? Just to clear the air?
JACKSON: Well.....you know that chicken based dog food you have here?
MOTLEYFOOL: Yeah, what about it?
JACKSON: I was hoping for more of the lamb and rice formula....or maybe the turkey. Can we get something different next time Motley? Or else I may have to go back to chasing squirrels again. Hehehehe.
MOTLEYFOOL: Very funny. I'll get you something really good next time fella, don't worry.
JACKSON: Thanks Motley. (thump thump thump)
MOTLEYFOOL: So now that you're a fledgling animal rights activist will you be as vociferous about protecting those squirrels as much as other animals? Hmmmmmmm?
JACKSON: Do we have to protect THEM too? Oh, very well. Hey! Let's give them the rest of my chicken flavored dog food. They'll eat anything! I'll bet they blow chunks!! Hahahaha!!
MOTLEYFOOL: Nice try Jackson, but you'll have to wait for the new stuff.
JACKSON: You're no fun...but I think I'll keep you around.

With that my friend got up and strolled over to the rosebed and looked around his little kingdom. It wasn't such a bad place and his needs were always taken care of so he vowed never to complain again about his situation. It's a dog's life, but life in any form whether it be higher or lower deserves the same shot at fulfillment as ours does. It's just the fair way to do things.

Comments

shyloh's poetry said…
What a beautiful story. In my neighborhood there is a lady that
feeds everything. She is wonderful.

I won't even kill spiders
anymore.

Every year, some how ladybugs get in my house. And I am talking
a lot of them. They go to my bedroom window and I just open it
up and let them out. This has been happening for 3 years now.
Animals are awesome. I haven't had the heart to replace my dog
yet (shylo) But maybe one day.
The Fool said…
Awww, your dog's is named Shyloh? That's cute. And I'm going through the ladybug blues here myself. I've found a number of them in the house but I'm not too concerned. They don't eat much!
shyloh's poetry said…
Thefool, you are beautiful! I mean that. I love your storeis. They have
so much meaning to me. Thank you for being you.
shyloh's poetry said…
Thefool, you are beautiful! I mean that. I love your storeis. They have
so much meaning to me. Thank you for being you. And yes my dog was named
shyloh. So I was namedd after him actually ha.
Anonymous said…
Think your dog has some good ideas, but too much TV
The Fool said…
Pia, maybe you could come over here and tell him. I've tried and tried but will he listen? Noooooooooooo, can't talk to him. Well, you CAN talk to him, obviously, but lemme tell you about stubborn...
shyloh's poetry said…
WOW snooker deleted is blogs. I sure will miss him. And still haven't heard from
him. I wonder if I did or said something wrong? Not sure.
The Fool said…
I'm sorry to hear that Shy, I liked him a lot. Did you two communicate outside of this place?
shyloh's poetry said…
We were just emailing. I would send him funny pics and just to
say hello. But he is just gone. POOF! Maybe his job is just to
demanding. Oh well, he will be missed. Did you ever read any
of his poetry? OH he sure could write poetry.

Popular Posts