Kansas



This is the third leg of my cross-country drive from California to Ohio in August of 2004.


There isn't all that much to say about Kansas. Mile after mile of grassy fields stretching to infinity. That's it. That's Kansas. I was listening to a CD I had burned that had all sorts of music from 1978. I was going to college then and those were the best years of my life. The CD contained some Hall and Oates, songs from "Grease", Meatloaf and Al Stewart. One song of his (Stewart's) was called "End of the Day" and was from his 1978 album "Time Passages".

"She wants to run out,
Where the day meets the night,
Far beyond these midwest farms..."

This was the best part of Kansas for me, seeing the sun coming up as these lyrics passed through my consciousness for the millionth time. After what seemed like an eternity I emerged from Kansas into Missouri and couldn't wait to motor through there as well. Why? It was more of the same but at least the Missouri River was spectacular in it's beauty. I passed through St. Louis and took a few quick pics of the great St. Louis Arch while driving in bumper to bumper traffic (don't try this at home) and emerged into Ilinois and decided to stay in Collinsville, Illinois for the night. Thank God that Motel 6 allows doggies.

Comments

Popular Posts