Blasphemy



My local ABC affiliate here has begun broadcasting reruns of the original Star Trek series from 1966-1969 much to my pleasure. While not a "Trekie" in the formal sense I do consider myself a bit of a sci-fi aficionado. But there's a problem in Star Trek World and it goes to the core of our essence, values and character. It involves the doctoring of history and the replacement of our most precious memories and in fact, it's almost too horrible to contemplate.
There it was for all to see. The special effects that we grew up with and know and love had been tampered with. The old soft-focus exterior shots of the Starship Enterprise had been edited out and replaced with brand new CGI special effects, no doubt to make the series blend in better with the newer Star Trek movies and later TV series. Why someone at the major movie studios felt the need to do this is quite beyond me. One wonders what will be next. Will they replace the cheesy interiors and styrofoam rocks with newer fare as well? Is there nothing these media conglomerates won't stoop to?
I feel cheated and abandoned. Is there no shame? No respect for history or our collectives memories? They have tampered with the holiest of holies and their action constitutes nothing less than a sacriledge. I tell ya, I'm mortified.

Comments

Anonymous said…
is that better or worse than

a: the news that JJ Abrams isn't going to use Billy Shatner in his new version of Star Trek

b: That JJ Abrams is doing the 'teen' version of Star Trek

c: That JJ Abrams is actually being given the job of re-tooling Star trek?



Trek Monkey
The Fool said…
My dear Monkey, with so much bad news on the horizon it leaves this Fool breathless.

Popular Posts