Second chances



A certain tree I know is counting it's blessings as we speak. This one for instance. He had the misfortune of planting his roots too close to some brickwork on my property. In a year's time the roots would have destroyed the foundation of the brick wall so I knew the young tree had to go. But rather than just cut it out at the roots I decided to transplant this sapling into a spot where it could stretch out a bit.
I grabbed my shovel out of the garage and began to pick around the roots in hope that I could do as little damage as possible. After about thirty minutes of grabbing, pulling and struggling I had most of what passed for it's root system. The next step of transplanting was pretty straightforward. Dig a hole, put it in, bury it, apply liberal amounts of water. When finished I'd transformed the whole look of that side of the property. It now has a tree which will be here long after I've passed into the next plane of existence. Many of us get second chances. Sometimes it's at a relationship, or perhaps a great job or even life itself. In the case of our friend here I think he hit the trifecta.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautifully done. Preserving life.
The trifecta, if everyone could achieve this we'd all be winners.

thank you,
Kindred
The Fool said…
It just occurred to me that in preserving that tree's life I inadvertently killed a number of earthworms. Will they ever forgive me?

Popular Posts