Origins


This isn't really a political blog. I intentionally kept it that way so I could lavish all my time on my rather eclectic style of writing, whatever that is. When I started this blog I honestly didn't know what kind of form or direction it would take. But it found it's way and in general I like what I've done so far. But I don't actually jump into politics here and not because I'm not political. I am. Part of the time I work as a political operative, a media flack for Democratic players here in Ohio. So it's not like I'm shy or anything, it's just that I was determined to keep this blog as a kind of oasis from the hardball politics that proliferate on the web.

As many of you already know I enjoy talking about the natural world. It has fascinated me since childhood as I read everything I could about natural history, dinosaurs and astronomy. Why I never became an anthropologist or an astronomer I'll never know. Maybe I was lazy, maybe I had other fish to fry. I can't seem to remember. But now and then discussion of the natural world turns political, especially when it infringes into people's cherished religious world views. This is one of those cases. The topic is human evolution and Intelligent Design/Creationism. I feel the need to weigh in on the issue and what better time than now?

It's quite amazing that Intelligent Design or Creationism can take hold in this country. It amazes me that a sizable majority of my countrymen are either A:severely uninformed or B: complete dolts.

Modern evolutionary theory is strongly supported by 97% of the world's scientists. That's a 9 followed by a 7. It's what we call overwhelming. AKA a slam dunk. The remaining 3% by and large are cranks and frauds who got their "degrees" from diploma mills or by mail order. Yet that doesn't stop the media from giving these cranks 50% of their attention which far outweighs the importance real scientists place upon them. The media is also culpable in this, they actually give these people air time. Long ago the media used to teach and had a sense of duty to inform. But nowadays they simply parrot things in a he-said, she-said manner without discerning whether one side is actually telling the truth. If President Bush were to announce that the earth was flat the headlines would read "President proclaims a flat earth! The debate rages!"

Peer review

It also amazes me that these same people have no problem singling out their own religious creation myth for special treatment while ignoring hundreds of other creation myths, some of which make more sense but are passed over because their supporters aren't numerous enough to garner the needed political support to push their agenda forward. What a surprise! It's political! And there's the crux of it...Creationism and I.D. have NOTHING to do with science. It's a political movement and not a scientific one. The far Christian right treats it like a political campaign complete with talking points. The Creationists themselves avoid the usual path to acceptance by the scientific community ie: you get published, present your findings for peer review and wait to see if your results can be verified. That's peer review. It is an elemental part of the process. If a theory is still standing after the best scientific minds have taken their best shots at it then it is well on it's way to being accepted. But that's not what these people do. They skip peer review altogether and go over the heads of the very scientific community they want acceptance from. Why do they avoid the scientific community? Because they know their "theories" won't hold water and that if any competant scientist gets hold of them they'll be ripped to shreds. Instead they publish their findings in books and sell them directly to the public as "fact" or put them up on Creationist websites. This allows them to skip that pesky peer review thing and go directly to the masses who are ill equipped to distinguish between good science and quackery. There's also a more than a little hypocrisy in the approach of the Creationist community. They claim (wrongly) that evolution is shaky and untested and shouldn't be taught yet they want to rush THEIR completely ridiculous and untested notions into science classrooms immediately.

Teach both

President Bush weighed in on the issue last month saying that we should teach both evolution and I.D. His opinion seemed so fair, so balanced. What could be more fair than giving students the opportunity to hear BOTH sides of the argument? Being fair is the American way, is it not? There's only one problem...there is no such thing as BOTH. There are hundreds of other religious creation myths so narrowing it down to evolution versus only one of many such myths is a false dilemma. There is no BOTH, there is only ONE scientific theory to explain human origins or MANY, maybe HUNDREDS of creation myths that rival the Christian one. There is no such thing as BOTH. It shows that Bush has been co-opted by the falacious argument put out by the Creationists and shows that he hasn't thought very deeply about the issue and has little to offer in the debate.

Words of science

How is it that the far Christian right is able to twist things in the political and religious spheres but not in the scientific milieu? Have you ever wondered about that? These people are able to slowly change the meaning of a word like "liberal" from being... " open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded" to meaning... "America hating, flag burning, tree hugging, granola eating, gay loving, French wine swilling traitor". The reason is because the words of science are very precise. They don't lend themselves to reinterpretation. Take the word "theory" for example. To the man on the street it means conjecture, a flawed fact. I can't tell you how many times I've heard news anchors, EDUCATED PEOPLE, use the phrase improperly. "Well it's only a theory". Only a theory? Even these college educated people misuse the word in it's true scientific sense. The scientist's definition is much more precise. To the scientist it means...

"A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of
facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena".

What the Creationists attempt to do is confuse people into thinking that the words "theory" and "hypothesis" are the same. Hypothesis is defined by scientists as...

"a tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation".

In every day usage they might be interchanged but NOT in the scientific world. We could have called it "Darwin's Hypothesis Of Evolution" but we didn't because a theory is different from a hypothesis. We call it "Darwin's Theory Of Evolution" because it has met the standard of being a viable theory. The Creationists attempt to muddy the water, they try to mislead people into thinking that scientific theories are mere conjecture. They are wrong and should be told so from the highest rooftops.

Comments

SMASHED said…
Whatever you may call your writing style, I thoroughly enjoy it! This post stands up to any opinionated column that I've ever read.
Anonymous said…
Really excellent. And yes you do have a great writing style.
bonnie said…
Hear hear. And I hope the judge in Dover hears that message too.

I wrote the essay I did for Bring It On out of a similar sense of frustration that people are falling for this stuff as much as they are - I don't know how much good one essay does, but it's just got to be better than just letting the ID supporters make all the noise. And my, they do make a lot of noise, don't they?
EcamirG said…
there is only one true explanation for the creation of earth, and that is that of the flying spaghetti monster.

think about it. all this stuff is here, so it had to get here somehow, right? of course the flying spaghetti monster created the world.

you'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not see that.
Vincent said…
Fool, bulls eye! As long as there are tom delays, and bushes, there will remain creationism.
Did you read that article about the "creationistic theory of gravity"? Those extraordinary minds in North-Dakota believe that science has failed to define gravity, so the real definition of gravity is "the force of god that keeps the things togather". How brilliant!! :)
I wonder why dark ages got over in the first place.
The Fool said…
Snooker, thanks man. I've been tracking these modern day Luddites since the late 1970s and can barely contain my anger at what they're doing to our country's education system. Grrr...

Pia, Nice to see you here! I love your blog and visit every day. OK, I don't mean that in a creepy way. By the way, thanks for letting me post this in your comments. I do realize it was somewhat long-winded...thanks again.

Hi Bonnie! Welcome to The Fool's Paradise. I saw your article on I.D. while I was at Pia's and it inspired me to distill everything I've learned about the Creationists into one concise essay. It may seem long but science doesn't lend itself to sound bites or quick one-liners. And yes, the Creationists make far more noise than know-nothings should be allowed to make. I'll be a regular at Frogma from here on in.

EcamirG, Deep down, I know you're right. But I still hold a soft spot in my heart for Ostentatious Jesus. The FSM rules!

Vincent, I didn't read the article but it doesn't surprise me. Bill Maher was joking about Creationists a year ago and joked that they might be questioning gravity soon. How right he was! But I also read somewhere that they feel they now have to attack related fields of science or else their arguments won't stick. Soon they'll be sticking their noses into bio-chemistry, astronomy and what have you. This is starting to make me ill.

Grumblefish, Thanks for your reply. What's amazing to me is that when you show the Creationists proof that they're wrong they'll walk away and begin telling someone else the same faulty reasoning you just got finished shooting down. It really is just like a political campaign. Keep repeating the lies until people believe them. The damage these people are doing to our educational system is unbelievable.
The Fool said…
I agree Sarah. And the scientific community has to wake up too and realize that they have to play the game just like the Creationists. Don't blather on with long-winded explanations that require a Phd to follow. Reduce the argument to talking points and hammer the Creationists when confronting them in a public forum. The problem with scientists is that they're too nice, they need to take the gloves off.

Ra-MEN!!
bonnie said…
wouldn't that be -

farfalle-luia, ra-MEN?

I'm at it again today btw. I let the American Heritage Dictionary do the talking this time though. Too much to do.

Had to stop by and add my bad pastalogical pun though.
Unknown said…
wow...i haven't even finished reading this post and already I love it.

Popular Posts