A Walk in the Countryside

Summer 2002














JACKSON
Motley? Are you busy?

MOTLEYFOOL
No Jackson, I'm just adjusting the idle speed on the E-type. What's up?

I saunter on over to the side of the house where Jackson likes to sunbathe with the cat. I lean my frame against the wall, my jeans feeling the sun's warmth on the sidewalk beneath me. He sits at first then lays down, his big head finding it's way onto my shoe.

MOTLEYFOOL
You've been pensive all week. The story about the death of Boris really shook you up didn't it?

JACKSON
Yes, very much. It got me to thinking though.

MOTLEYFOOL
About?

JACKSON
Life...you know, and other stuff.

MOTLEYFOOL
Do tell.

JACKSON
Well, remember a couple of years ago when I chased down that squirrel and killed it?

MOTLEYFOOL
You mean so severely injured him that I had to put the poor thing out of his MISERY? How could I forget?

JACKSON
Now, hang on. I can feel feel the anger rising in your voice.

MOTLEYFOOL
Well Jackson, you had no call to do that. He had his own life to live too you know. I still don't believe that you outran him.

JACKSON
I'm very athletic.

MOTLEYFOOL
Guess so...

JACKSON
Anyway, I never understood your anger about the whole thing until now. You really yelled at me that time, I've never seen you so angry. I think you hit me too.

MOTLEYFOOL
Yes Jackson, I was furious with you. What got into you? You're such a calm and gentle soul.

JACKSON
We're ALL primitives under this thin veneer of civilisation Motley, even you. The primal being exists inside you whether you like it or not.

MOTLEYFOOL
Interesting Jackson...

JACKSON
And in my case I was responding to the chase reflex anyway. If that damn squirrel hadn't run he'd be alive today ya know. Anyway...you're getting me off-topic here. I know now why you were upset with me. The life of that squirrel was worth something right? It was a precious thing?

MOTLEYFOOL
Yes, it was Jackson.

JACKSON
Who says? At Dogwort's we were taught that life is something that we can't measure or grade as far as importance is concerned. My actions toward that squirrel were merely another event in space-time. Of no real significance in the cosmic scheme of things.

MOTLEYFOOL
Oh boy, Jackson. I can't really argue with your logic here. Call it a feeling, a hunch, I don't know. We humans like to anthropomorphize this world so we can just get through the day.

JACKSON
Anthropo-WHAT?

MOTLEYFOOL
Assign arbitrary human values to things, you know, we make up gods and then we stick them up in the sky. We make cartoon characters out of animals and give then them human voices and characteristics. Stuff like that.

JACKSON
Or even talk to their dog...

MOTLEYFOOL
Touché.

JACKSON
Gotcha! ...hehehe. Anyway, I think I understand what you mean. But it doesn't give it any weight or veracity, this value you place on our lives.

MOTLEYFOOL
I know Jackson, I can't prove anything here. I think what we're doing is justifying our emotions when we try to assign a value to a life. I like to see an entity live out their entire life span to a ripe old age.

JACKSON
See? That doesn't make any sense in a Lamarckian model Motley.

MOTLEYFOOL
(sigh)

JACKSON
OK OK. I see what you're saying but on a gut level I just don't get it. But one thing bothers me Motley...

MOTLEYFOOL
What's that fella?

JACKSON
When I die, will you feel as bad about my passing as you did when Boris died?

MOTLEYFOOL
Of course I will Jackson, maybe worse.

JACKSON
*wags big bushy tail* Thanks Motley.

MOTLEYFOOL
So...wait a minute! Now you change your tune and want an emotional value placed upon your own life?!!! Hahahahaha! Gotcha!

JACKSON
Harummph. Touche.

Comments

SMASHED said…
Jackson... gotta love him!

*damned squirrels, anyway! ;-)
shyloh's poetry said…
What a sweet story. We all learn something in time ha. Jackson is so
beautful and wise.
Jane said…
just wanted to say hi.

"hi"
The Fool said…
Snooker, I'm with Jackson on that one! Damn squrrels. Just hold still dammit!

Shyloh, I learn all sorts of stuff from the big furry guy. His human jokes are the best. :)

Jane! Long time-no see! I've been meaning to drop over to your site and I think I'll do just that. How's L.A. life?
Jane said…
Fool, your visit was a lovely surprise!!!

Life in LA is hectic, just trying to hang on. I think I can't wait to get out and then something beautiful happens, the sky, the sun, the people and I think if I ever get out there is no doubt I will be back. It really is a remarkable city.

But on to you. I missed reading your fool-ish thoughts. Which Shakespear Fool are you?
The Fool said…
I think I like Touchstone in "As You Like It" as he's something of the professor but they're all there to guide and teach. The Fools are usually the ones who know what's going on so the moniker of The Fool is a bit of an oxymoron (pun intended). :) Where do you see yourself living if not in L.A. ?
{illyria} said…
me want my own jackson to learn things from.
The Fool said…
Trans, if he has a litter of puppies I'll be happy to send one over. :)

Popular Posts