Halloween Cabargay

I have nothing profound to offer this week but I do want to tell you all how I spent my Halloween. It started with an invitation to have dinner with George and Joyce, a married couple who live here locally.

I'd met Joyce two months ago when she assisted me in procurring actors for a read-through of a new play by my friend, Grimace, at my house. Actually, we met when she walked into the same political function where I worked as a media flack. She is a local actress here in Columbus but it was good to know that she and I shared the same political leanings. Joyce and I are nearly the same age so we also share many of the same cultural touchstones in music and politics. We have become great friends. So off I go to dinner at Joyce's house to finally meet her husband, George.

As it turned out George was the chef that night and he prepared a lovely dinner of New York Steak and cous-cous. Delish Madge! I found out that George is quite the guitarist and has assembled a fine collection which he plays frequently and with great accomplishment. After dinner the plan was to go into Columbus and spend it at a Halloween cabaret. We got into our cars and made the trip over to German Village to finally meet at Club Diversity, a gay bar and cabaret on High Street. Me and the married couple. Me, the third wheel.

Club Diversity is a large old brick home converted into a comfy bar with a 1930s sensibilty. We walked into the alcove and were met by Stuart, a friend of Joyce who was dressed in a long blond wig, short mini skirt and black army boots. I greeted him by saying that he reminded me of Bea Arthur which got me a friendly sneer. We wound our way to the bar where I almost had my usual gin and tonic until George reminded me that they feature chocolate martinis tonight and I would be remiss to not partake of it's chocolatiness. A pianist was tickling the ivories and soon we were being entertained by a host of vocalists. The first was Stuart and he was followed by many others, most of them gay, who sang show tunes I'd never heard of. Cut me some slack, I haven't seen much new since Hair. OK OK, Annie. I've seen Annie. But that's it. One day I hope to see Cats. Wish me luck.

One of the vocalists was a fellow who sang a song with the lyrics "I met a boy today" which got me thinking...why do gay men refer to each other as "boys? I mean, they only seem to use that moniker when in the actual courting phase because most gay men I've known have no problem with calling themselves a gay man. No matter, it's not important really.

I had downed my chocolate martini fairly quickly and watched Joyce carefull nurse hers for the entire time we were there. The bartender mentioned to George to tell their friend that the martinis weren't milk shakes so go easy on them or else you'd end up getting hammered. Actually, I think I was. Well, the martini combined with the wine at dinner kind of caught up to me. But I was happy to shut myself off and enjoy the show. Since the move from California I've lived a fairly solitary life for the past year as I sorted out my old house and sometimes I've felt a bit like a stranger in a strange land. But I like this place. It's good to have friends again.

Comments

shyloh's poetry said…
Yes it sounds like a lovely time with great friends. Glad you can remember
the night my friend. (smile)

Aloha
The Fool said…
I'm beginning to think that friends are the most important thing. I do enjoy my solitude but this friends thing is starting to look appealing. ;)
{illyria} said…
you're no fool. friends are awesome especially if you hang out with the perfect bunch that "fits." glad you had a good time, honey. you've been missed.
Jane said…
Third wheel (shudder)... I seem to always be that :) - I'm trying to find a positive side to that, at least they were trying to set you up

The picture was never me it was always Kate ;)

As always thank you for your input
Anonymous said…
Noel Coward's song 'Mad about the boy' - an example of what you said.
The chocolate whatsit sounded yummy!
The Fool said…
trans,
I'm finding that friends are the most important thing these days. Even more important than sex...God, I can't believe I said that.

jane,
Wait a minute. Weren't you the blond girl sitting barefoot on the couch? That wasn't Kate Moss was it? I'm now officially confoozed.

pat,
I tell ya, I could have downed a couple more of those chocolate martinis but they'd have had to carry me home. I still say they're milkshakes in disguise.
Anonymous said…
friends are the most important thing, even more important than, gawd, I can't believe that I'm saying that

Sounds like a great night. I enjoy going to clubs and even gay bars the further away from NY I am.

Have no idea why I should feel pressure at a gay bar, but I do
bonnie said…
Would Jackson mind if you saw "Cats"?

Popular Posts