Elmer And Me


I met Elmer Bernstein in the spring of 1996. I was a waiter in a Mexican restaurant at the
time and Mr. Bernstein was having a late lunch on a lovely spring afternoon in NorCal. 
He looked interesting with that shock of longish white hair and I felt that he was unique but it was something I couldn't quite put my finger on. He was alone and since the restaurant was empty except for him and me I found time to chat with him about nothing in particular, the weather and other niceties. I had no idea who he was until he gave me his MasterCard. Out of curiousity I noticed his name and a jolt of excitement surged through me...The Magnificent Seven! Not to mention To Kill A Mockingbird and The Age Of Innocence. This man has created and conducted some of the greatest movie music in history.
I immediately went over to him and clumsily exclaimed "You're Elmer Bernstein!" realizing that he probably already knew that already. I shook his hand and told what
an honor it was to have met him. He smiled broadly, grateful that someone right off the street recognized 
his name and legacy. I don't think we even talked about his business at all because he was preparing to leave and there was little time. 
That's it. That was my brush with true greatness. Elmer died in 2004 but I thought it would be good to remember him here. Thanks for your graciousness 
Elmer, I won't let the world forget it. 
Go to Elmer's site here.

Comments

{illyria} said…
iso sorry to comment and run; but i'll be sure to be back later, when things settle down here at work.

just wanted to wish you a great new year. hope that everything has proceeded splendidly since we last talked.

much love. xx.
The Fool said…
Ahhh, my dear Illyria! I take it you got my message in Google Chat the other day? Happy New Year to you too!
The Fool said…
What a sweetheart you are. I couldn't ask for a better boost to my ego. How about a pint? ;)
Brood Mode said…
I was intrigued to see an occupation so different (compared to all the engineers and the business guys out there)in your profile.

Nice blog!

Popular Posts