Intolerable Cruelty

While on the phone with a friend this afternoon I attended to Jackson who wanted to go out in the yard. He's good about that. When he feels the need to go out he let's me know and I'm so grateful for that. I'm still on the phone and I hear Jackson's familiar howl outside which signifies one of two things...he wants to come in or he sees another dog and wants to chat with him/her.

I look out the window and see that Jackson's attention is riveted on a little terrier or Schnauzer that is roaming in the street. He seems friendly but also seems very lost. To see a dog that is lost is to feel awful because you can almost sense panic in them as they frantically try to find their way home.

I go outside and to see if I can spot a collar or some tags but I can't see much so I go back in and conclude my call so I can get back here and get a closer look. I burst out the door and see the little fellow across the street and I call out to him to not go in the street completely missing the notion that he can't understand a word I'm saying. I ask a couple of men passing by if they know whose dog this is and suddenly a tall young fellow appears across the street, walking purposely and angrily towards the dog. He scoops up the dog by roughly grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and then proceeds to slap the dog HARD three time across the head. The dog made the kind of yelping sound that makes your stomach crawl, the kind of sound an animal makes when it's being tortured or fighting for it's life. The force of those blows would have hurt a full grown human being, never mind a little dog the size of a house cat.

When I saw him strike the dog so viciously I physically gasped and blurted out "NO! Please don't hit the little guy!" The youth turned back to me and snarled "Don't you fuckin' tell me what to do with MY fuckin' dog! I'll mutha-fuckin' do what I want." I watched him walk down the street to a car, open the door, throw the dog in and drive away. My heart sank as I realized that this little dog lives a life of misery and will never be able to escape this kind of torment and brutality.

I realized that many people don't value the lives of other living creatures and that perhaps the way I treat Jackson is the exception rather than the rule. I really want to believe otherwise but today just isn't a good day for me to believe in the human race.

Comments

The Fool said…
What the hell is wrong with people?
{illyria} said…
that's horrid. i'd give that jerk more than a piece of my mind.
bonnie said…
oh, that's terrible. Poor pup. Why do people get pets if they're just going to beat up on them?

Heck, I don't have a dog even though I love dogs because I know the poor dog would be sitting home alone all the time.
The Fool said…
I have no idea. But I want to make sure that I get his vehicle plate number next time I see him. The onlt thing that will stop people like this punk is fear of jail time.
shyloh's poetry said…
Hello the fool, I posted earlier but did not take I guess.
Unless you deleted me (rollingeyes).

I know how you feel. It is sad that people own animals and hold
some sort of grudge as to NOW having to take care of them.
My Shylo and I use to have soooooooooo much fun. I can't imagine
ever hurting him. I hope some how some way that man loses that
dog to a good home.
shyloh's poetry said…
Well if you are going to let a dog out of your site or
let it roam it will roam and one cannot blame anyone
but self. And it is sad that some people just don't
get it. It seem as if he may have some rage there.
(like being put out).
The Fool said…
Welcome Sarah, and you're right. Violent people ARE cowards and if all this guy is going to do is beat up on this poor little dog then the least I can do is report him for it. I feel such rage when I see this kind of thing.
Prat said…
shame on him.

Popular Posts