A long goodbye



Jackson is dying. His hind quarters are on the verge of being completely non-functional. He is almost a paraplegic due to something called Wobblers Syndrome, a disease of the spinal column where the vertebras constrict the space where the spinal cord exists. The compressing spinal cord is no longer able to send signals to the rear legs so they slowly fail to work. He isn't in any pain but he will be crippled. If he were a younger dog he'd be a good candidate for surgery but he's too old to withstand a long recovery and rehabilitation. There is no cure and no shortcut to recovery.

The speed with which this happened has been astonishing. I've always known that big dogs had hip problems and knew that this would probably be his Achilles Heel. But it's accelerated so quickly over the last three weeks that I can hardly believe it. I've watched him go from being graceful, strong and athletic to being a mere shadow of his former self almost within months. What makes this doubly hard is that he's not in pain. He's just as happy and bushy-tailed as he's always been. It's just that his hind quarters don't work. And there is no cure, no do-over or last minute rescue for him this time. He will be paralyzed soon and there is nothing I can do about it.

One day soon, it could be in four days or four weeks, I will have to make the decision that I'm so afraid of making. I will call the vet and have him come out to the house to put poor Jackson to sleep. I will look into his amber eyes and watch the life drain out of him and wonder if he'll forgive me or if I did the right thing or if I could have done more. I have to find a way to make these last days of his happy ones, I'll do my level best. I don't have to overcompensate by telling him that I love him to pieces, I've talked to him that way for years. Which makes the whole thing that much harder. If there's an afterlife I hope he's in it, he'll be the first one I look for.

Comments

EcamirG said…
jesus, dude. i'm sorry. egypt's hind legs have started to give out on her a little every now and again, too, i'm told. she'll be coming down the stairs, her back legs will tremble a little, and she'll lose her footing. just like what poor jackson went through.

give him a big hug from me, and tell him i'm sorry i couldn't make it up to columbus to see him on this visit.
shyloh's poetry said…
Love and peace to all of you forever@@@
{illyria} said…
oh, honey. you're making me cry. i'm so sorry about jackson, and i send you my love all the way from the equator.
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry.
bonnie said…
oh no.
Anonymous said…
:(
The Fool said…
Thanks to all for your concern. I'll keep the old fellow going as long as I can with anti-inflamatories. Who knows, maybe I can keep him going for an extra month or two. But I know the day is coming, I just don't know exactly when.
shyloh's poetry said…
How is he doing dear? Was thinking about you two this morning and
wanted to ask.

Love always.
The Fool said…
He wasn't himself yesterday, a little sluggish but his hind quarters held up alright. I hold my breath when I see him go down the 3 or 4 stairs into the yard. He's a little unsteady and shaky, a far cry from what he was only 3 months ago. This was the farthest thing from my mind then. But he has several good days then a bad day. I just wonder when that ratio is going to change. Thanks for asking Shy!
The Fool said…
But but but... they all live to be a ripe old age!! I guess I just happen to talk about that part of their lives more than the average fool. :)
shyloh's poetry said…
How is everything going? Just checking in again. My thoughts
are with you daily. Love and peace!
The Fool said…
I haven't been blogging as much lately Shy, I've been working. But Jackson has been good, he's stabilized and I've been giving him anti-inflammatories which seems to suit him. Otherwise things are pretty good. I'll drop over and see you soon!
shyloh's poetry said…
It's ok dear. I know you must be busy. I am full these days myself. Just wanting you to know I am tinking about you and jackson.
shyloh's poetry said…
Thinking of you as always.

Peace and love.
shyloh's poetry said…
You were on my mind today. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Love and peace to you always.
Aloha.
Prat said…
awww you poor thing. that must be such a tough decision to make.
but I am sure you will make the right one.
I will be thinking nice thoughts for both of you.
sirbarrett said…
A good friend can only be one for his own time and all of our time fades. But, when a dog has been a loyal friend, that wealth of time shared glows like embers, long after the flame has died.

Popular Posts